This week I got my tax return. Exciting, right? It is if you’re a 24-year-old with her first full-time job. I got a REAL tax return. I’m talking more than $20 here people! Throughout college my tax returns were only good for a round at the bar, and a very cheap round. Not anymore. Holding my hefty tax return was one of those tiny wonderful adult moments. 99 percent of the time I’m juggling work, freelancing, and bills, all while trying to hold on my social life. But sometimes being an adult can be kind of wonderful. Which of course got me thinking about some other little “adult” blessings.
1. 10pm happy hours with my coworkers. Working 1-10pm can be a little rough, especially when your friends are out you know, having fun. Luckily I’ve got some stellar co-workers who have no problem moving happy hour from 5pm to 10pm.
2. Late night grocery shopping. Most people hate this chore, but I kind of love it. Especially when it’s 10:30pm and I’m the only one at Giant Eagle. Not only do I have the store to myself, but I can shop all for myself. Which means my dad can’t judge me for buying four boxes of cereal and a $12 Wilton pastry sifter.
3. Paid vacation > Gap discount. No matter how stressful work gets, my job is a million times better than Cracker Barrel, Target, Gap, Panera and my stint with Kent State’s Dining Services combined.
4. It’s my money and I’ll spend it if I want to. If I want to use my big girl tax return to buy new clothes and get a new tattoo, I can. Because it’s mine.
5. I’m not alone. Even when I feel like I’m totally fucking up this whole process of growing up, it’s nice to know my friends are right there with me.